[vtkusers] Newbie with VTK : Question about look and feel.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:04:05 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 2:33 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Ullas Krishnan
> <ullas_krishnan at infosys.com> wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for your response. It was posted with limted knowledge about VTK.Sorry for that.
>>
>> Will you recommend using QT instead of MFC for our application?
>>
> Even though I am an MFC developer for 12 years I still choose to
> develop my VTK applications with Qt over MFC since Qt gives you the
> ability to write code and run it on windows, linux and macintosh
> without modification. However after I started learning Qt I found that
> it is much better at allowing you to customize the look and feel of
> your application. This is done with using styles.
>
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/stylesheet.html

Here is some more info on Qt.

Customizing your application for the Macintosh style would be as simple as

int main()
{
QApplication app(argc, argv);

app.setStyle("macintosh");

// More code
}

but the MacStyle is for Mac only in the released versions. I see
though the upcoming 4.5 release has a note at the bottom of the page

"Since Qt 4.5, Qt style sheets fully supports Mac OS X."

I am not 100% sure if that gives you the macintosh style under windows
though. I know that motif and clearlooks are supported under windows.

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/stylesheet.html

There is an example called styles in the Qt opensource download that
shows a dialog dynamically changing the style based on a selection in
a combobox.

John