[vtkusers] about VTK

Emilia Basile emilia.basile at iss.infn.it
Thu Nov 6 11:14:51 EST 2008

Hi all,
I need to visualize the dose distribution originated by a MonteCarlo
simulation of a proton beam in a water phantom. Data are structured in a
3D ASCII matrix (file.txt), where each value represents the energy deposit
in a small volume (voxel), in a Cartesian geometry. I would create a 3D
image with colours showing dose distribution. Then, I would fit this
distribution with the best function, rotate the bin system, and resample
the dose distribution in the rotated system of bins. Can VTK do this work?
What plugin do I need? Have VTK any limitation concerning the byte
extension of the input file (I've a great number of bins, greater than
20,000,000)?
I am a newbie and I have to do this work in short time, so I am
very grateful to you, if you could give me a step-by-step help to perform
the data fit, the system rotation and (principally) the resampling.
Any suggestions will be appreciate.
Sure of your kind replies, I thank you in advance.
With my best regards,
              Emilia Basile