[vtkusers] installing vtk on RHEL; fails to find Python.h

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:08:52 EDT 2008

I tried installing vtk so that I can use it from Python. I'm not too
familiar with cmake but I tried to answer correctly the many questions
that it had for me.

Yet my make fails to find the header file Python.h;  with this message:

[  0%] Building C object Wrapping/CMakeFiles/vtkWrapPython.dir/vtkWrapPython.o
In file included from /src/VTK/Wrapping/vtkWrapPython.c:16:
/src/VTK/Common/vtkPython.h:44:22: error: Python.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [Wrapping/CMakeFiles/vtkWrapPython.dir/vtkWrapPython.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Wrapping/CMakeFiles/vtkWrapPython.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestions which variable I must have set wrong? I list below the
path's I thought were relevant; perhaps I'm totally off!

PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.4
PYTHON_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib/python2.4
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX= /usr/local/vtk
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON
 CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=''

Is there any other way of installing VTK on my RHEL system? cmake
seems very messy. Any rpm / yum / srpm options?

-Rahul