[vtkusers] VTKBlog

Wagner Sales wsales at gmail.com
Mon May 19 11:40:36 EDT 2008

Hi all,
This blog aren't from me, but helped me with some things. Then, I'm sending
this invitation to the list ( and, of course, a copy to the author ). I
think that's will be great to all of us more one good source of VTK examples
and information.

Blog address: http://vtkblog.blogspot.com

Regards,
Wagner Sales

Dear all,

I have not updated for nearly a year. My previous goal is to accompany the
weakness of the VTK mailing list. The mailing list is good source of
information, but unfortunately lacking organized structure. The example
programs given in the VTK source distributions are also nice, but most of
them are written in scripting language which may not be suitable for C++
developers. That is the reason why I would like to write up some
illustrative examples with demo figures and source codes using C++
programming language (instead of scripting language such as TCL and Python).

Dues to some personal issues, I can't fit this goal yet. For example, I am
not an expert in medical imaging, but I have been asking some examples in
C++ related to this field.

So, I would like to invite some volunteers to design and write some
tutorials with are in similar format. The invited editors have ability to
post some new articles, or edit the previous articles.

The requirements for the content are
===========================
1. Programming language (Must be C++)
2. Preferred codebase (Pure VTK is preferable, adding other libraries are
okay, but need to explain how to get them in the post)
3. Platform (May not need to in Windows, other platforms are okay)
4. Source codes (Must include the source code - zipped or in a single cpp
file, you can upload them to some free web spaces - e.g. Google Page
Creator<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.google.com%2F&ei=7UoiSK71DoaM6gOWu7HyAw&usg=AFQjCNFH8adsA2hkzCqPNs3LoBIvq15aWQ&sig2=XyS7kHr5mX4Um7OxgQT0rw>
)
5. How to compile and build
6. (Optional) With a single image/video clip to illustrate what it is (to
save time of viewers...)

Some possible topics may be interesting
============================
1. A survey of how to use VTK with other GUI libraries (e.g. such as FLTK,
Qt)
2. Many illustrative examples of how to use VTK in different fields (such as
volume rendering, medical imaging....)
3. Some latest features in VTK (such as GPU acceleration using shaders)
4. Using VTK with ITK (how to bridge them)
5. More....

For volunteers who are interested, please feel free to contact me via
hkpeterpeter at gmail.com. I can grant the editing permission of this blog for
volunteers.

Peter