[vtkusers] VTK and Osirix plugins

Emmanouil Moschidis moshman65 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 09:03:35 EDT 2008

Hi Anja

in order to link your plugin against the VTK libraries you need to import to your project the VTKHeaders and the VTKLibs (can be found in the OsiriX source code). Also if you are planning to write VTK code in your plug-in, which basically means C++ code, be sure you have changed the extension of your implementation files to .mm. Otherwise the compiler will return errors when checking the C++ code. Last but not least note that OsiriX represents two dimensional images as DCMPix (origin top left corner), while VTK as vtkImageData (origin lower left corner). So in  order to have the right result in the 2D Viewer you would probably take care of the orientation. In case you want to visualize your resulting image in the OsiriX 2D Viewer for sure you will need to make this transformation (vtkImageData->DCMPix) as well.

HTH
Emmanouil

Anja Ende <anja.ende at googlemail.com> wrote: Hi everyone,

This is actually a question about using VTK in an OSIRIX plugin. Does
anyone have a small example on how one can go about achieving that?

I have a DICOM image that I want to read inside OSIRIX and then what I
want to do is run the vtkContourFilter and visualize the output.
However, I am not even able to have the Plugin even include a VTK
header so far. Unfortunately, the documentation on this subject is
also very scarce. Has anyone here been able to do it with any success
and provide some suggestions on how to start? It would be really
appreciated.

Thanks,
Anja