[vtkusers] vtk 4.4.2 vs. 5.0.x differences

Bernd Speiser bernd.speiser at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 20 11:17:28 EDT 2008

Hi all,

we are using vtk for a lerger electrochemical simulation project
within a Qt 3 GUI. The software package was originally implemented with
vtk 4.4.2.
Rcecently we have switched some of our computers to openSuSE 10.3 and
re-installed vtk. This time we downloaded vtk 5.0.2. Compilation works
ok, but when we run the program on these recent systems, no graphs
appear on the screen (the Qt GUI is apparently ok). Installing in
parallel vtk 4.4.2 and recompiling produces an executable which works
fine - showing all the intended graphics. So, our conclusion is that
something important for our application does seem to have changed during
the evolution of vtk from 4.4.2 to 5.0.2.
I have been searching within the vtk web site for a file describing the
differences between vtk 4.4.2 (or other older versions) and 5.0.x.
However, I did not find any appropriate information. Does someone have a
link to such information?
Also, has someone experienced similar problems and could give me a hint
as to where to check the code?

Best regards
Bernd

Bernd Speiser
Institut für Organische Chemie
Auf der Morgenstelle 18
temporary address: Auf der Morgenstelle 15
D-72076 Tübingen
Germany
phone: +49-7071-2976205 (office) +49-7071-2976242 (laboratory)
        +49-7071-2972098 (secretary)
fax:   +49-7071-295518
e-mail: bernd.speiser at uni-tuebingen.de
Internet: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/speiser