[vtkusers] How to improve the volume rendering's speed?

Amy Squillacote ahs at cfdrc.com
Thu Mar 13 09:29:44 EDT 2008

VTK supports a few different volume rendering methods. (See
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkVolumeMapper.html for the
ones currently in VTK.) The hardware-based methods (e.g.,
vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D and vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D) will be faster
than raycasting but not as accurate. You could use vtkLODProp3D
(http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkLODProp3D.html) to choose a
fast rendering method for when you're interacting with the 3D scene
(e.g., rotating, panning, etc. with the mouse in the render window) and
a slower method when you stop interacting.

Some of the volume mappers operate only on certain types of scalar data,
but none of them care what method you used to get your data into VTK.

- Amy