[vtkusers] Run Java-VTK application...

Bartlomiej Wilkowski wilku_83 at o2.pl
Mon Mar 3 06:30:22 EST 2008

On 3/3/08, flory <florysf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

>       Does anyone know if there is any possibility to run an application
> that uses Java with VTK on several platforms(Windows, MacOS, Linux)
> without
> having installed VTK? I tried on Windows to include the vtk.jar and the
> dlls
> but it didn't work. I would appreciate any advice. What I want is a jar or
> something similar to an executable that could start the application
> without
> being asked to install VTK. I didn't find anywhere what should I include
> into the jar.
>   Thanks!
>

> Flory
>
> --

Hi,

You do not need to extract the VTK classes and java files from vtk.jar. What
you simply need to do is to have all the external JAR files (like vtk.jar)
in the same location as your Java (JAR) program or define in the Manifest
where they are. Second thing is that in the same location with the Java
program there must be all VTK dinamic libraries (for windows *.dll). If you
still have problem with running it, I would really like to know what kind of
problem it is. Probably I can help you.

There is one very strange thing if you compile your VTK using Visual Studio
2005 or higher. During the compilation process of VTK, inside the VTK *.dlls
there are links to the .NET 2.0 platform so no JAVA+VTK program will run if
the computer does not have installed .NET 2.0. Weird limitation, I know ;/
If you compile your VTK in e.g. Visual Studio 6 (older one) there is no such
a problem.

just contact me if you need some more help. If you would like some clues how
to prepare Java VTK developer environment, how to install all these things
etc just follow this link: http://www.spinet.pl/~wilku/vtk-howto/ and the
references given there.

Best regards,

Bartek Wilkowski