[vtkusers] vtk java compilation error: "cannot find symbol: class vtkCamera"

Clemens Heinrich h_clemens at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 07:49:27 EST 2008

Hi!
I am trying to compile vtk with java support on ubuntu 7.10 as described in
http://www.duke.edu/~iwd/howto/VTK-Linux-Java_HOWTO.html.

When I follow the step below "Building the jar":
cd java/  mkdir classes/  javac -d classes/ vtk/*.java
The javac prints these errors (middle of the output is skipped):

vtk/vtkVisibilitySort.java:54: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtkCamera
location: class vtk.vtkVisibilitySort
  private native void SetCamera_11(vtkCamera id0);
                                   ^
vtk/vtkVisibilitySort.java:55: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtkCamera
location: class vtk.vtkVisibilitySort
  public void SetCamera(vtkCamera id0)
                        ^
vtk/vtkVisibilitySort.java:58: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtkCamera
location: class vtk.vtkVisibilitySort
  private native vtkCamera GetCamera_12();
                 ^
vtk/vtkVisibilitySort.java:59: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtkCamera
location: class vtk.vtkVisibilitySort
  public vtkCamera GetCamera()
         ^
vtk/vtkVTKJavaHybridDriver.java:11: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtk3DSImporter
location: class vtk.vtkVTKJavaHybridDriver
    dummy = new vtk3DSImporter();
                ^
vtk/vtkVTKJavaHybridDriver.java:12: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtkArcPlotter
location: class vtk.vtkVTKJavaHybridDriver
    dummy = new vtkArcPlotter();
                ^
vtk/vtkVTKJavaRenderingDriver.java:69: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class vtkProp3DCollection
location: class vtk.vtkVTKJavaRenderingDriver
    dummy = new vtkProp3DCollection();
                ^
100 errors

What can be the reason why vtkCamera.java and several other files don't exist?
I downloaded the sources tarball http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.0/vtk-5.0.4.tar.gz. Several *.java files are generated only during the make process, and are not present in the sources initially. Which make step generates these *.java, and how can I find out why some required files a not generated?

Thank you
Clemens