[vtkusers] detecting overlapping cells in a polydata

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 20:27:00 EDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 5:50 PM, Karl Merkley wrote:

> Anybody have any ideas on how to efficiently detect overlapping
> cells in a polydata?
>
>    Thanks,
>        Karl

In my experience, the best way is to have a good model of the size/
shape of individual cells.  Overlapping cells are "too big" if the
two cells appear to be merged, or one of them is "too small" if it is
separate from, but obscured by, the other cell.  In both cases, the
cell(s) are the "wrong shape".

That gives you a start on *detecting* overlapping cells.  Once
detected, you need a way to hypothesize a configuration of cells that
explains what you see in the image.

This takes you out of the area of straight "image processing", but
(again, in my experience) it appears to be necessary to get good
results.

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://KennethRSloan.com/