[vtkusers] Looping Visualization Networks

Ryan Barr ryan_barr_eac at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:46:48 EDT 2008

I am deforming a sphereSource using a vtkTransformPolyDataFilter and a
vtkThinPlateSplineTransform (thanks to Marius Erdt, Karthik Krishnan
& Miguel Rodriguez). This works fine the first time, but subsequent
deformations are applied to the original sphere and not the previous
deformed sphere. In other words, regardless of what is displayed on
screen, the deformations are being applied to a perfect sphere.

While at the moment I am handling a simple sphere of 50 points, in
the future I plan on applying this to far more complex models, so I
need a solution that will work with far more points.

In my
search for a solution I read the example in the VTK : An Object Orientated
Approach to 3D Graphics book on page 115. In this example, after the
first pass through the filter, the sphereSource is disconnected and a
filter loop is created. However, for figure 4-22, on page 115, it
states that looping visualization networks are no longer allowed as of
VTK 5.0.

When I try implementing a looping visualization network, similar to the example, I get an unhandled exception in vtkAlgorithm::ComputePipelineMTime

My questions are,
why are looping visualization networks no longer allowed?
what are we supposed to do instead?
and
are there other (better) ways of maintaining a modified model? Perhaps
I have to use ITK classes (i.e. DeformableModelSimplexMesh example in
ITK's InsightApplications)?

thank you