[vtkusers] TemporalDataSet examples

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Jun 30 09:52:46 EDT 2008

gbiv (?)

> Hello,
> I've been digging into the docs on Temporal data sets and I've tried looking
> over some of the referring samples in the Test directories but I can't seem
> to find any examples that do vis of temporal datasets. For example, If I
> load up 3 vtk files and create a TemporalDataset, how do I set up a pipeline
> to render an isovalue contour over the span of the the three timesteps?
> biv

The TemporalDataSet structure is really intended to act as a holder for
a pipeline that operates over datasets in sequential order (generally
within a framwork like paraview where the pipeline is being iterated in
some way).

Am I to understand that you want to see the contours of all 3 time steps
superimposed on top of each other? If this is what you want, then
replace your vtkTemporalDataSet with a vtkMultiBlockDataSet and then run
the contour filter over it. It will run 3 times (in your case) and
append the results into a new multiblock structure holding all the
contours. You can then render this in the usual manner using a
multiblock polydata mapper etc etc.

If you wanted to go down the Temporal path, then you'd need to create a
simple filter the executed the contour and iterated the pipeline
manually by setting the CONTINUE_EXECUTING information key (something
like vtkExtractSomthingOverTime does this, can't remember the name).

If this is a one off job, then the multiblock holder might be easier for
you to use.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch