[vtkusers] Displaying 16bit grayscale images an MPR in combination with MIP

Andreas Brüning mail-andi at web.de
Thu Jun 19 10:40:10 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

i have a few general questions about displaying 16 bit grayscale images with vtk. The background of my questions is that i have to handle different kinds of medical images (most time 16bit grayscale, signed/ unsigned) and i want to use vtk to realize tasks like MPR, MIP and some 3d- model extractions.

First of all i have question about the vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow. If i have the hardware to visualize 16bit grayscale images will these window display the right grayscalevalues or convert them internally to 24bit color(8 bit grayscale)?

My next qustion is about how to setup the vtk pipeline to realize a MPR with ThickSlabs(like in Osirix) on a stack of CT images? I think it is a combination of MPR and MIP.
I already made examples of MPR using vtkImageReslice and also a 3D- MIP of a volume by using vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper. How can i combine them or which algorithm do i have to use to get the same performance than Osirix?

So far i can read the images using vtkImageImport, because i use another libary to read the dicoms. the datatyp of the scalarcomponents of the outcoming vtkImageData are set to short to handle the 16bit values. A few mapper doesnŽt like that as inputdata.

ThankŽs in advance
Andi