[vtkusers] How to write discontinuous field data

John Platt jcplatt at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jun 18 15:27:48 EDT 2008

Hi Serge,

Take a look at vtkShrinkFilter in the docs for a description of
shrinking. Setting a shrink factor of 1 has the effect of uncoupling all
the cells but leaving the geometry unchanged. The trick is just to store
the original node numbers as point data. When vtkShrinkFilter executes,
it creates new cells with unique point Ids but with the original node
number stored as point data. You can now iterate over the topology of
all the cells, get the original node number from the point data and
create the discontinuous point data at the new node VTK has generated.

With a shrink factor of 1, vtkShrinkFilter creates plenty of coincident
points. Some filters will detect if a point Id with the same coordinates
already exists and use this earlier point Id in the cell topology
instead of the supplied Id. This will defeat the purpose of the shrink.

HTH

John.