[vtkusers] Executing vtk code in debug mode in VC++ 8.0

Wes Turner wes.turner at kitware.com
Wed Jun 4 09:14:36 EDT 2008

You don't really provide enough information to help you debug your code, but
you should know that VC++ 8.0 instrumented a large number of memory checks
that detect and throw exceptions when you write past the end of a buffer or
carry out a number of other invalid memory operations.  These options are
disabled in Release mode so the code -- while still incorrect -- may run.
VTK  has been running with 8.0 for a while now so I do not expect these
issues are likely in any recent release.  So, you should probably

1) Go to the VTK website and ensure you have the latest release.
2) If the error still occurs, they are probably in code you wrote to call
VTK, so step through the debugger and find/fix the errors.

If this doesn't help, you can try reposting your question to the list with
more information such as system, VTK version, exact error message, call
stack, simple code example that generates the error ... etc.

- Wes

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:59 AM, <psumit at ee.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>  I am able to build and execute vtk code samples in VC++ 8.0(WinXP) in the
> "Release" mode. However when I execute the same code in "Debug" mode I get
> runtime error message "A buffer overrun has occurred in vtk_trial.exe which
> has corrupted the program's internal state". I have tried using
> "Multi-threaded Debug Dll" and "Multi-threaded Dll" as the runtime library
> but I get the same runtime error.
>  Can someone please suggest a remedy for the problem or point out what the
> problem could be?   Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Sumit

Wesley D. Turner, Ph.D.