[vtkusers] Problem With vtkUnstructuredGrid, displaying 3d elements

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jul 17 10:27:04 EDT 2008

Most data types are converted to vtkPolyData, ie the surface is
extracted and drawn, before rendering a you have observed.

To see inside the voxels, tets and other volumetric cell types, you
might want to check out the volume rendering classes in vtk, which can
draw the data directly.

If you want to see the wireframe of the data which shows all of the
internal cell edges, I think you have to write a new filter, or add an
option to vtkDataSetSurface filter. I looked quickly through the vtk
doxygen and no classes seemed appropriate. The filter would be pretty
simple. It would be a DataSet to PolyData filter, in RequestData it
would:

copy all the points in input data to output data
copy all point centered data likewise
for (i in inputcells)
  new cells = triangulate inputcell i;
  add new cells to the output data

Then you could draw that in wireframe mode.

cheers,
Dave DeMarle