[vtkusers] Window/Level Question-

Ryan Smith ryanleesmith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:21:24 EDT 2008

Hello-
I am trying to add window/level settings to CT volume data I have read in.
I am using a modified version of the ISIS::ImageSliceViewer code from
Georgetown University.  The code accepts input as vtkImageData which it adds
to the rendered.  I saw the example below and tried implementing it in my
code:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.vtk.user/27109     (similar to
exercise 2f in the VTK course examples)

It uses the vtkPiecewiseFunction to setup a transfer function for the pixel
values.  My question is this:  I currently have quite a lot of code that
accepts vtkImageData.  I was thinking of adding a way to add an actor that
is comprised of the vtkVolumeData to the renderer, however this would
require a major overhaul.  Is there a(n easy) way i can convert this volume
data back to image data prior to sending it to my ISIS renderer?  Am I on
the right track for adding window/level settings to my CT image? I assume
this has been done before, and the code is available in Thanks in advance.

-Ryan