[vtkusers] HDF5 with VTK

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 23 12:43:59 EST 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 18.39:21 Eric Monson wrote:
> Since I don't know anything about CFD data, I may be throwing out a
> naive answer here, but in the past few months I've been dealing with
> (not too large) data sets in HDF5 format and viewing them in ParaView.
>
> There are two routes that have worked for me. First, XDMF is a format
> which can be read by ParaView (www.xdmf.org -- although the site seems
> to be a bit down right now, the format is in active development). To
> use Xdmf with existing HDF5 data you just have to write an XML file
> which describes the topology and geometry of the data set, and then
> within that XML you can refer to the spot in the HDF5 file where the
> data resides. So, it's a pretty easy way to quickly get up and going
> with viewing your data.

There is a major limitation in this format: it does not allow to specify
ordering for the data. So, if you are unlucky to have your data generated
using matlab or fortran you are left behind.

-- Dominik

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series)

> .
>
> Also, native time support within the Xdmf format is currently under
> development, but at an early stage, so I don't know when you could
> expect this to be ready.
>
> The second route I've used, just as an inefficient quick fix, is to
> write a Python script which reads in the data from the HDF5 file and
> writes out individual XML VTK files for each time step (I've done
> image data *.vti and unstructured grid *.vtu), plus a PVD file which
> describes what the "time step" is for each file. The latter is what
> ParaView loads, and can be used then for animations. Since this was my
> first Python script, I'm sure it's not very pretty, and it's also not
> very generic since I was in a rush to get some data converted for a
> presentation, but I'm willing to send it to you as an example if you'd
> like.
>
> -Eric

> Eric E. Monson
> Duke Visualization Technology Group
>

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:34 AM, burlen wrote:
>
> > You are on target to point out the issues that the one will face
> > when a high resolution 3D results are required, lots of large files
> > are indeed a challenge which should be anticipated for in the design
> > of the CFD code. However, judging from Emmanuel's initial mail, he
> > is not asking about design issues he will face when implementing a
> > CFD code, he is rather asking how he can get a run up on the screen.
> > My impression is that he just needs something simple to get him up
> > and going.
> >
> > CFD code design consideration aside, assuming that his results are
> > in HDF5 format, if he can get a HDF5 to VTK converter up and
> > running, then down the road he can extend that into a PARAVIEW
> > reader(thereby bypassing the extra file io) if needed(like you have
> > done), so that is a win win.
> >
> > It sounded like he hadn't even installed HDF5 and H5Utils onto his
> > workstation, so that is probably the first order of bus. At least
> > then he can use the H5dump to see the contents of his files. Then
> > install VTK and/or Paraview. In any case it sounds as though he has
> > some work in front of him to get up and going...

Dominik Szczerba, Ph.D.
Computer Vision Lab CH-8092 Zurich
http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~domi