[vtkusers] HDF5 with VTK

Eric Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jan 23 12:39:21 EST 2008

Since I don't know anything about CFD data, I may be throwing out a
naive answer here, but in the past few months I've been dealing with
(not too large) data sets in HDF5 format and viewing them in ParaView.

There are two routes that have worked for me. First, XDMF is a format
which can be read by ParaView (www.xdmf.org -- although the site seems
to be a bit down right now, the format is in active development). To
use Xdmf with existing HDF5 data you just have to write an XML file
which describes the topology and geometry of the data set, and then
within that XML you can refer to the spot in the HDF5 file where the
data resides. So, it's a pretty easy way to quickly get up and going
with viewing your data.

One caveat is that current versions of ParaView do not automatically
support time series of Xdmf files (you would have to build it in
yourself using the directions in the ParaView Wiki -- http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series)
.

Also, native time support within the Xdmf format is currently under
development, but at an early stage, so I don't know when you could
expect this to be ready.

The second route I've used, just as an inefficient quick fix, is to
write a Python script which reads in the data from the HDF5 file and
writes out individual XML VTK files for each time step (I've done
image data *.vti and unstructured grid *.vtu), plus a PVD file which
describes what the "time step" is for each file. The latter is what
ParaView loads, and can be used then for animations. Since this was my
first Python script, I'm sure it's not very pretty, and it's also not
very generic since I was in a rush to get some data converted for a
presentation, but I'm willing to send it to you as an example if you'd
like.

-Eric

Eric E. Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group