[vtkusers] Re: Rendering slowed down after recent CVS update

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Mon Jan 21 04:27:50 EST 2008

Hello Francois,

>By card upgrade, try a driver upgrade first. http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

I am very doubtful it will make a difference. In NVidia's OpenGL
extension specifications it says that this card (based on an NV25 chip)
does not support the extension. See
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/opengl/specs/nvOpenGLspecs.pdf   An
earlier version of this document (dated somewhere in 2003) clearly marks
the extension as being emulated in software for NV2x cards, with a note
to expect slow performance.

>You card is listed in the legacy section:
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
>
>It means you have to deal with the latest legacy driver available for Linux:
>
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_x86_96.43.01.html
>
>Once you try this new driver, two cases:
>
>1. it works, just let us know
>2. it is still slow, I'll try to make the vtkOpenGLExtensionManager aware of this particular card and of this software fallback. I will need the output of glxinfo:
> $ glxinfo > output.txt

I attached the output anyway. Interestingly, the extension list doesn't
have the blend_func_separate extension, while VTK obviously gets some
function pointer when querying for this extension.

Regards,
Paul