[vtkusers] Compilation of VTK 5.0.3 on Windows XP SP2 using MinGW

Nicholas Kinar n.kinar at usask.ca
Tue Jan 15 14:59:58 EST 2008

Hello!

This e-mail is not to be redundant, but I have managed to compile VTK 5.0.3 on
Windows using MinGW 5.1.3 with the GNU make utilities (Make 3.81) installed.
MSYS has not been installed.

Starting with CMAKE 2.4 (patch 7), I selected the MinGW configuration and went
with the default settings. This created VTK makefiles for static libraries.

Switching to the directory where the makefiles were created, I ran make and the
build process started.  However, the build process crashes due to a typedef
redefinition.  This can be fixed by changing, in the file
\vtk\Utilities\vtkjpeg\jmorecfg.h, the following lines of code (around line 246
of the file):

#ifndef HAVE_BOOLEAN
//typedef int boolean;
typedef unsigned char boolean;

This is done to remain compatible with MinGW header files, which typedef boolean
as unsigned char.  I suspect that this is only a problem with MinGW on Windows.
After saving the file, I ran make once again and found that VTK compiled
smoothly.  After compilation, I found that it was possible to run the VTK
tests.

Nicholas