[vtkusers] libvtkpng.so et al. not found

Chuck Theobald chuckt at uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 15 13:51:02 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a binary application (fslview_bin from
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/, version 4.0.1 of FSL) which responds to
an ldd as follows:

       . . .
        libvtkDICOMParser.so.5.0 => /usr/lib/libvtkDICOMParser.so.5.0
(0xb61d0000)
        libvtkpng.so.5.0 => not found
        libvtktiff.so.5.0 => not found
        libvtkzlib.so.5.0 => not found
        libvtkjpeg.so.5.0 => not found
        libvtkexpat.so.5.0 => not found
        libvtkexoIIc.so.5.0 => /usr/lib/libvtkexoIIc.so.5.0 (0xb61a3000)
        libvtkNetCDF.so.5.0 => /usr/lib/libvtkNetCDF.so.5.0 (0xb6175000)
       . . .

FMRIB supplies the missing libraries with the binary download, but I
prefer to use system libraries where possible. I've built VTK 5.0.3 on a
Gentoo box with USE flags of "crypt cups gtk java jpeg ldap mpi nptl png
python qt3 qt4 slang ssl tcl threads tiff tk X zlib -gnome -kde", but
the libraries are not created anywhere. Are these deprecated libraries,
or am I just not building VTK correctly?

Thank you,
--

Chuck Theobald
System Administrator