[vtkusers] PDF 3D support

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Tue Jan 8 08:05:05 EST 2008

Dear Lars,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Lars Friedrich wrote:

> Did I get you right, Michail, that the vtkIDTFExporter is written by
> you, and you would share it? Do you use VTK from C or from Python?

Yes.
C++.

  I am now rewriting it, since I originally based it on vtkVRMLExporter,
that really shows its age of about 10 years.
  vtkX3DExporter seems to be a much better base, but it has age problems too
(its age is negative, since it was officially promised but not released).

  vtkVRMLExporter has problems with cell-level data (color and normals),
  while Adobe decided to disable shading and lighting in case vertex colors
  are used. Thus the Quadric Function from http://www.vtk.org/example-code.php
  looked awful.

Gurus, any guidance on the state of Exporters in VTK is welcome!

> Do you think it is difficult to use your vtkIDTFExporter from Python?

I do not know but I would like to.
I am really new to vtk/cmake and for now just
#include "vtkIDTFExporter.cxx" in the test programs.
I am afraid I will have to recompile VTK eventually.

BTW, does the CVS VTK require CVS cmake to compile on Mac OS X 10.5?

> I understood that win-binaries of the IDTFconverter can be downloaded
> from intel. I did not find it by googling, can you give me an address?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/u3d

      Sincerely, Michail