[vtkusers] wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py fails on OSX with VTK Cocoa build

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 22 12:29:09 EST 2008

>>  our app uses python , wxpython for the gui, and VTK for the 3D
>>  graphics...
>>  .... so as i understand it, all three of those need to be 64 bit for
>>  it to work?

It sounds that way, and frankly, none of those components are really 64
bit ready yet. Apple has distributed a Python with 64 bit libraries, but
no 64 bit interpreter. Carbon is not 64 bit (and never will be? who
really knows?), wxCocoa is not ready to go, and vtk is not 64 bit clean
either.

So, it seems that 64 bit really isn't an option now anyway, so I'd just
stick with 32 bit and it all works everywhere. Let's hope all all the
pieces get put in place before too long, but I'm guessing 32 bit will be
supported in the OS's for a good long time anyway -- do you really need
64 bit now?

> That is one of the issues that Apple _NEEDS_ to hear this type of feed
> back. Please send then your concerns about 64 bit GUIs under OS X.

Well, they've been pretty bad about supported what they consider
"depreciated" stuff, and I've NEVER seen then support cross-platform
solutions -- but it doesn't hurt to ask. But what to ask? Do we want a
64 bit Carbon?

Do you know a good forum for making these kinds of requests?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov