[vtkusers] Re: wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py fails on OSX with VTK Cocoa build

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 20 12:09:07 EST 2008

On 2/20/08 9:49 AM, Mike Jackson said:

>Not to burst your bubble, BUT Apple's X11 is based on Carbon also..
>The only way to get 64 bit GUI _RIGHT NOW_ with OS X is to write it
>purely in Cocoa. Last I heard you would need VTK CVS Head for this and
>even then I think there are some problems.
>
>Sean M. can chime in here with more answers..

To my knowledge, there are no Cocoa-specific problems in VTK in 64 bit.
However, VTK has problems with 64 bit on any platform.  There are many
many many places where it uses 'int' interchangeably with 'size_t'
types.  Those types are not necessarily the same size.

Just look at this Vista 64 bit dashboard:
<http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/redwall.kitware/Win64-Vista-vs8-
Release/20080219-0300-Nightly/BuildWarning.html>

That being said, almost all tests actually pass in 64 bit, so it's
pretty usable in practice, at least with small datasets.

I know nothing about X11...

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com