[vtkusers] wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py fails on OSX with VTK Cocoa build

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 08:20:47 EST 2008

Oh, the fun of Carbon, Cocoa and C++ developers..

Early on when all those 3rd party toolbox developers brought their
toys to OS X they didn't know objective-C. This lead to them using
Carbon (C++) instead to port their code to OS X. Fast forward a few
years to the present time and now you get the current batch of
problems. Carbon didn't go 64 Bit, only cocoa, but all those 3rd party
toolkits are still Carbon. My guess is that python and wx are all
based on carbon so you _have_ to use a Carbon build of VTK to
inter-operate with those toolkits.

If this is a limitation because Carbon is only 32 bit I would find the
proper person at Apple and state your case as to why Carbon should be
ported to 64 bit (If at all possible).

So, the short answer to your question is that if you are using wx you
will have to use a Carbon build of VTK as wx is expecting Carbon data
structures.

Sorry for the bad news
Mike Jackson