[vtkusers] Material microstructure modeling

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:49:33 EST 2008

I have some experience with this sort of thing. The basic flow for us
was:

Create vtkImageData from all the Slices of microstructure.
Threshold the vtkImageData to extract the features that you want to
model
Run a MarchingCubes to create the surface mesh of the features.
Decimate and smooth as needed.

Not much to go on, but hope that helps.

On Feb 8, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Roman Putanowicz wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Maybe someone of you have experience with the following problem:
> I need to build 3D models of material microstructures having
> a series of 2D microstructure images. The resulting 3D models
> will be subsequently meshed to allow direct analysis of
> microstructure mechanical properties using FEM.
>
> Could you please point me to any software solutions (either commercial
> or free) to the above issue?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Regards,
>
> Roman
>
> --
> Roman Putanowicz  < putanowr at l5.pk.edu.pl  >
> Institute for Computational Civil Engng (L-5)
> Dept. of Civil Engng, Cracow Univ. of Technology
> www.l5.pk.edu.pl, tel. +48 12 628 2569, fax 2034

Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer