[vtkusers] Compiling VTK in cygwin

Andrey Sklyar skyarland at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 22:44:02 EST 2008

> Simple rule: do not turn ON advanced options you do not understand.
Advice taken to heart.  I am still getting the same error, even with
the default options, though.

> By default VTK is building fine on cygwin (see nightly dashboard).
What version of cygwin, cygwin packages (gcc, g++, make, cmake), and
compilation settings (CC, CXX, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and cmake settings)
is run in the test below?  When I tried using the default settings (as
described below) I still got the same error.  Also, does that
configuration require editing any of the win32api files (vxf.h, for
example)?

Site Name: dash14.kitware
Build Name: Win32-cygwin344

Further details
I was able to compile vtk-5.2.0 successfully with cygwin with the
default configuration on two different Windows XP machines in October,
but I keep getting the same error in
/usr/src/vtkcvs/VTK/Hybrid/vtkWin32VideoSource.cxx when I try to do it
now.

> If you sole goal is to compile VTK, do not turn cmake option you do
> not understand. By default VTK is building fine on cygwin (see nightly
> dashboard). I guess shared lib is the only one I'd suggest.

I just tried to do this from scratch today (12/28/2008).  I
- deleted the cygwin directory
- Downloaded http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe and installed cygwin
- Added the packages, gcc, g++, make, and cmake, cvs, and subversion
- Downloaded http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.2/vtk-5.2.0.tar.gz and
http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.2/vtkdata-5.2.0.tar.gz
- Extracted VTK and VTKData into the /usr/src directory
- Created VTKbin in the /usr/src directory and cd into it
- Set CC=/bin/gcc.exe and CXX=/bin/g++.exe
- ran ccmake ../VTK, accepting all of the default options at 5:15 pm
- At 6:30 pm, with 80% of the build complete, got the same error with
vtkWin32VideoSource.cxx

> What is the output of c++ --version vs g++ --version...
They are the same - as Mathieu said, c++ is just a symlink to g++.

- Andrey