[vtkusers] Close Surface

Will Boyer boyer_will at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:07:29 EDT 2008

Hello,

I've generated a mesh from input points using vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction. I then do some filtering in order to remove degenerate data, get the triangles, reduce the number of triangles, and finally smooth the surface. I am trying to get the volume inside of the triangle mesh, however the vtkMassProperties-GetVolume function is not giving me the right volume. I assumed that the problem was because my mesh is not completely closed (i.e. there are holes in the mesh), so I tried using vtkTesselateBoundaryLoops to close any holes. Although this method covers most holes, there are still holes in the mesh. Any thoughts as to how I can close the mesh completely? Here's my pipeline

vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction vtkCleanPolyData //Remove degenerate polys and unused/duplicate pointsvtkTriangleFiltervtkDecimateProvtkSmoothPolyDataFiltervtkTesselateBoundaryLoops

Thanks in advance,

Will