[vtkusers] Changes to vtkLocator Class

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Aug 11 09:47:25 EDT 2008

Mike

Apologies. I posted a fairly long mail to the developers list about
locator changes, but forgot the users list.

I have added a new vtkAbstractCellLocator class and made vtkCellLocator
and vtkOBBTree subclasses of that.
Some members which were in vtkLocator, have been moved to
vtkAbstractCellLocator, and a few opther small changes have been made.
The API breakage is in fact the one you found
RetainCellLists has moved from vtkLocator to vtkAbstractCellLocator as
it is applicable to cell locators but not used by point locators.

Currently, vtkKdTree lies outside of cell or point locator heirarchies
and subclasses vtkLocator directly. I hope to move it too one day, but I
am not familiar enough with the code to warrant it.

I do not think there are other breakages, and I think this one was OK
because, a) it was in the wrong place to start with. b) You can now
create an interfac which accepts a vtkAbstractCellLocator and pass in
CellLocator, OBBTree or in my case custom locators and retain a single
interface.

Should others find trouble with the new classes, please contact me ASAP
and I'll advise on fixes etc.

In your case, if RetainCellListsOff was being called on anything other
than a vtkCellLocator, it was being ignored, so you can just delete it
anyway.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch