[vtkusers] Scalar data on 2-D plane and how to "elevate" this scalar data

pcalhoun psc28 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 4 14:18:32 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I have been writing a C++ program that converts dat files that I have been
working with into vtk format (vtu in particular.) These dat files contain a
certain resolution of points on a bounded 2-D plane. This plane also has
scalar data associated with each point. My ultimate goal for this program is
to show this data as a 3-D surface (where the 3rd dimension is derived from
the scalar component and is perpendicular to the original plane.)

When writing my vtu files, I have mainly been using Vtk_Pixel (8) as well as
Vtk_Quad (9) to create the cells that make up the entire surface. However,
even though the program creates the surface that I desire, it also creates a
plane under the new elevated surface. Therefore, I can't get a good look at
the under side of the new surface. (if the images are too hard to mentally
visualize I can post a couple images if that helps.) Im not sure if this
added plane (which just so happens to be the plane that would be plotted if
the scalar data wasn't "elevated") is an artifact of vtu files or Vtk_Pixels
or something else I over looked.

One possible solution that I arrived at is that I could simply make a vtk
file that outputs the plane and contains the scalar data at each point
(thereafter I can "elevate" the scalar data with a function built into the
visualization program I'm using.) I attempted this by trying to add
<PointData> ... </PointData> into my vtu files but I could not get the
syntax to work out. If someone has an example vtu file that has the right
syntax to accomplish this, it would be very helpful if I could take a look
at it.

If you need more information about my problem or have an suggestions let me
know. Thanks

Cheers,   :drunk:

Patrick