[vtkusers] Aargh! QVTKwidget install problem (Mingw/Vista)

Mark Sutton m.sutton at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 06:46:28 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm struggling to get VTK/QT combo to work properly, and was hoping someone
may have had experience of my problem! Full details of my procedure below,
but to cut a long story short everything compiles and seems to be functional
- but the QVTKwidget crashes as soon as I use it.

Am running QT 4.3 via QDevelop IDE (i.e. using qmake) on Vista32, with
MinGW.

MinGW/MSYS/Qt system fully functional

VTK (5.0.4) compiled using CMake with shared libs on (couldn't get QT
projects to compile with static libraries, I suspect this is down to me
using QT in shared lib mode - am happy to live with this), QT support on,
various necessary tweaks for compile implemented (from
http://www.eoinmurphy.org/2008/07/30/building-vtk-on-mingwmsys/). Currently
also using system freetype as I'd heard there might be library version
issues with this and QT, but I get the same problem using built-in freetype.

VTK system itself seems fully functional (an example using it's own window
(i.e not QT) compiled and run from my IDE)

Plugin to QDesigner works, shows VTK functionality fine.

Project has correct libs (.dll versions) included, paths to header files
included. Finds everything and compiles with no errors. Runtime has all
relevant DLLs on path.

Test project is VTK supplied 'simpleview' project, with
'app.setMainWidget(&mainwindow);' line removed from main (not QT4 compatible
I think) [Have tried other test projects, doing call at different times
(i.e. outside constructor), with same result]

BUT - when I run it I get a crash as soon as QVTKwidget->getRenderWindow()
is called.

Does anyone have ANY idea what the problem might be, or have a known install
procedure which DOES work on this set up?

Thanks in advance! Am pulling my hair out over this one...