[vtkusers] Cast doubt on method vtkFloatArray::GetTuple

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Tue Apr 15 10:49:30 EDT 2008

GetTuple() is defined in the superclass vtkDataArray. If you already safedowncast to a float array, you can use extra methods specific to float array, like GetTupleValue, SetTupleValue,GetValue,SetValue,InsertValue,
InsertNextValue:

vtkFloatArray
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkFloatArray.html

superclass vtkDataArray

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkDataArray.html

Renato N. Elias wrote:

> Just a minor doubt (or curiosity):
>
> Since vtkFloatArray is a float type, why (or how) does the GetTuple
> method return a double?
>
> I'm using a vtkFloatArray to point to the output of a normals generation
> filter. In this case, I had to performe a "SafeDownCast" from the output
> of the normals filter to the vtkFloatArray. After that, when I was
> getting the tuples from vtkFloatArray I noticed that the method returns
> a double (again). Well, although not being a C++ programmer, it seemed a
> bit weird. Is it safe (or even common in C++)?
>
> Thanks for any clarification
>
> Renato.

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive