[vtkusers] Cast doubt on method vtkFloatArray::GetTuple

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Tue Apr 15 10:45:00 EDT 2008

Just a minor doubt (or curiosity):

Since vtkFloatArray is a float type, why (or how) does the GetTuple
method return a double?

I'm using a vtkFloatArray to point to the output of a normals generation
filter. In this case, I had to performe a "SafeDownCast" from the output
of the normals filter to the vtkFloatArray. After that, when I was
getting the tuples from vtkFloatArray I noticed that the method returns
a double (again). Well, although not being a C++ programmer, it seemed a
bit weird. Is it safe (or even common in C++)?

Thanks for any clarification

Renato.