[vtkusers] writing new class in vtk

Adrian Albert a.albert at jacobs-university.de
Wed Apr 2 03:39:11 EDT 2008

Dear all,

I am new to VTK and for some time I have been trying to get an answer on the
vtkusers at vtk.org mailing list to some of my (many) questions related to VTK.

I am trying to write a VTK class for implementing multidimensional transfer
functions (color and opacity alike). VTK's vtkColorTransferFunction only
works with scalar data, and vtkPiecewiseFunction works on opacity, as I
could understand. There is another toolkit, MITK, that claims to have
multidimensional transfer functions implemented, but their documentation
says that the multidimensional transfer function is working for opacity
only. Could someone comment on the use of multidimensional transfer
functions in MITK? Are they really working only for opacity?

As VTK is concerned, I would like to know how to write a filter that takes
multiple inputs (from files) given by
vtkStructuredPointsReader::GetOutputPort(), and outputs color and opacity
values. The inputs are defined over the same domain and vtkImageData grid,
but instead of one value at each location there can be N such values.
Should I subclass from vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper? Or should I rather
subclass from vtkAlgorithm? Could anyone who has experience with extending
VTK help me?

Many thanks,
Adrian

Adrian Albert