[vtkusers] Building VTK on XP 64-bit - unresolved external symbol __imp_Tcl...

Avishay Sidlesky avishay.s at xurity.com
Tue Nov 20 09:10:31 EST 2007

I'd like to share my experience for those interested in building the
64-bit version:

Eventually, I used Python wrappers instead of Tcl/Tk, since Python comes

with a 64-bit binary version. (it also includes 64-bit Tcl/TK dll/lib
files)

Furthermore, the SourceForge VTK .Net wrappers are necessary for
integrating VTK in .Net applications,

so if you have to build the code for 64-bit anyway, you may wish to
consider that alternative to begin with.

Note that my experience with  Tcl/Tk build for 64 bit was bad, perhaps
since the Windows SDK wasn't installed at the time,

forcing me to use Visual Studio (instead of nmake from command line).

It  generated tclsh and wish applications, but the lib files had wrong
function decoration (__imp__ instead of __imp_),

rendering them useless for linking.

As opposed to my unfortunate compilation, the Tcl/Tk lib files that came
with Phython have the correct function decoration,

should they be of interest to anybody.

Hope that helps anyone,

Avishay