[vtkusers] The philosophies about deriving classes based on the vtk class

James Zhou henryjoye at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 05:27:03 EST 2007

Hi all,

I have some uncertainties about using derived vtk classes.

I derived class vtkMyRenderingWidget based vtk3DWidget. I think I have two
options to use this class: The first is that I put the derived class in my
project folder and directly use it in my project. In this case, the class
definition is like CASE 1) as follows.

CASE 1)
class  vtkMyRenderingWidget : public vtk3DWidget
{
}

The second is that I put the derived class in vtkLocal folder and build
vtkLocal as a separate library. The class definition is like CASE 2). In
this case, I need to add vtklocal library into my project in order to use
it.

CASE 2)
class VTK_local_EXPORT vtkMyRenderingWidget : public vtk3DWidget
{
}

Now my question is: may I use my derived class as in CASE 1) directly in the
project? In my project, I have problems when I use it in this way. The
derived class cannot get data through
"mywdgt->SetInputConnection(reader->GetOutputPort());".

Could anyone show me whether I may use the derived vtk classes in this way?

Thanks!

James