[vtkusers] Cocoa VTK on Mac OS X 10.5

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Nov 2 10:31:49 EDT 2007

On 11/1/07 12:20 AM, Dan Wilson said:

>Thanks for the extremely prompt response!
>
>> I've _just_ put a new version, 1.3, online.  You can be the 1st
>> tester. :)
>> <http://www.rogue-research.com/VTK/SimpleCocoaVTK.html>
>
> From the instructions here, I switched to using the system zlib,
>which I wasn't doing before. That seemed to cut down the number of
>linker errors from ~ 40 to 12.

The only reason I made that change really is because that's how I built
VTK, it reduces compile time a bit, and I think the OS zlib is more
likely to be current than VTK's zlib (witness bug 5445).

>> It looks like VTK and SimpleCocoaVTK are not being built with the same
>> SDK and deployment target.  Since you have:
>>
>>> CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES:STRING=i386
>>> CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:STRING=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
>>
>> Make sure that SimpleCocoaVTK is also using the same SDK and that
>> "deployment target" is set to 10.4.
>
>I was building with the 10.4u SDK in both cases. :(
>
>So what this leaves me with is the following linker errors, which all
>look fairly similar:
>
>   "_strerror$UNIX2003", referenced from:
>       vtksys::SystemTools::GetLastSystemError()      in
>libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
>       vtkErrorCode::GetStringFromErrorCode(unsigned long)in
>
> SNIP
>
>Any ideas? The only other deviation from your instructions is that I'm
>not building universal binaries, just i386.

All that "$UNIX2003" stuff still makes me think it's a 10.4 - 10.5
mismatch.  You said you are using the 10.4 SDK is both cases, good; but
are you sure your 'deployment target' is the same in both your VTK build
and SimpleCocoaVTK build?

The Release configuration of SimpleCocoaVTK is Universal (ppc & i386),
but the Debug target is not, it is only 'native architecture'.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com