[vtkusers] Compiling VTK/Java/Windows/VisualSudio

Shawn Ericson sce at cfdrc.com
Thu Nov 1 13:24:55 EDT 2007

David,

The error message depends on the version I am using. Since I've gone
through several iterations, I don't have the exact errors but will post
what I remember. If that is not enough I will work on recompiling and
get the exact error messages to you later.

On the 5.0.3 release the error I got referred to a failure in, or
failure to find, cl.exe
On the cvs version that I downloaded yesterday the first error message
is on Java compiling and the inability to find vtkAbstractArray (yes, I
have my classpath set, and looking at <root>/java/vtk there is no .java
file for vtkAbstractArray, only .rule files).

As an aside, on one of my many iterations to try to get this to compile,
I tried cheating a little bit and had some success (though not
completely). I had all my java source files built from my Linux
installation. I copied them over to the appropriate Windows directory
and recompiled wil MSVS. After several recompilations it finally
completed without error. Unfortunately, there must be some basic
differences between that java source code and the cxx source because
some of the java wrapper calls appeared inconsistent when I tried to run
my application. My point is, it all seems to boil down to a lack of
.java source file generation.

Anyway, let me know if you need me to recompile and capture the exact
errors and I'll get that done.

Thanks,
Shawn