[vtkusers] Install FFMPEG

Janny Dong janny.dong at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:21:48 EDT 2007

Hi

I have tried to download and install FFMPEG through
http://www.vtk.org/get-software.php
but failed.

*FFMPEG Source Code
*

The FFMPEG multimedia library source code can be obtained either from
the sourceforge
web site <http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/download.php> or by downloading
ffmpeg_source.tar.gz <http://www.vtk.org/files/support/ffmpeg_source.tar.gz>

The instruction included in the zipped file seems to be outdated. It
suggests CVS update but the CVS server already retired according to sourceforge
web site. <http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/download.php>
I searched the web and installed MINGW. I used MINGW to install and compile
the library with source files in the zipped file but it keeps complaining
after 'make' command:

make -C libavutil all
make[1]: Entering directory '/C/ffmpeg/libavutil'
Makefile:36 *** missing separator. Stop
make[1]: Leaving directory '/C/ffmpeg/libavutil'
make: *** [lib] Error 2.

I also tried to install with nightly Subversion snapshots from
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/download.html. No error this time but I couldn't
make VTK find the library by setting CMAKE variables.

Anyone can share some successful experience with me?

Thanks a lot
Janny

<http://www.vtk.org/files/support/vtkmpeg2encode.tar.gz>