[vtkusers] RenderOverlay crash

Patrick Birch lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 11:45:00 EDT 2007

Hi VTK experts,

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced a segmentation fault at the RenderOverlay() function?

I have a vtkImageActor which is fed a vtkFloatArray object. The vtkFloatArray is assigned values column by column. Every time one column of data is filled, then the vtkImageActor is updated and rendered. Therefore on the screen you see one column of data appearing at a time at a frame rate of about 50 Hz.

Because I am using immediate-mode rendering not retained-mode rendering, the rendering is done by calling RenderOverlay(), RenderTransluscientGeometry() and RenderOpaqueGeometry() on the vtkImageActor object.

When the last column of data appears on the screen, then a segmentation fault occurs at the line where I call RenderOverlay().

At first I thought this could be because maybe I am setting values into the vtkFloatArray that is out of the array bounds, however wouldnt' I get the fault when a call to Modified() or Update() occurs? Not when a call to RenderOverlay() occurs?

Also, this crash happens on a Fedora 6 system, but did not happen on a Fedora 3 system (all the source code is the same - using VTK 4.2)

Would anyone happen to have a clue as to why this might be happening, or what I might need to investigate?

Thank-you and best regards,

-PB