[vtkusers] undefined reference to `JAWT_GetAWT

Neil Killeen nkilleen at unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 25 07:51:26 EDT 2007

Hello

I am building  VTK 5.0.2  on an Altix IA64 (Itanium2) machine.

All goes well until building the Java wrapper. Viz:

Linking CXX executable ../../bin/VTKJavaExecutable
/home/nkilleen/dmf/software/vtk/VTKBinary/bin/libvtkRenderingJava.so:
undefined reference to `JAWT_GetAWT'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/VTKJavaExecutable] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Wrapping/Java/CMakeFiles/VTKJavaExecutable.dir/all] Error 2

1. I am building against Java 1.5 with the jre (BEA) located in

/usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_10-ia64/jre/lib/ia64

2. To get this far in the link of the Java wrapper above I had to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at the various lib directories  in the jre tree
where likely .so files live.  Viz:

   ia64/*.so
   ia64/jrockit/{libjsig.so,libjvm.so}
   ia64/xawt/libmawt.so

   I note there are also directories

   ia64/headless/libmawt.so
   ia64/motif21/libmawt.so
   ia64/native_threads/libhpi.so

   I am assuming ia64/xawt  over-rides the first two ?    Dunno what the
last is for.  I am not
   pointing at it.

3. With ccmake I correctly configured  JAVA_AWT_INCLUDE_PATH to

    /usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_10-ia64/include

    where in jawt.h appears to contain the missing symbol.

I have seen this error message posted in the list a couple of times in the
dim dark past, but nobody answered then.  I hope someone answers now !

thanks
Neil