[vtkusers] Building Python bindings on OS X

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Mar 22 12:46:17 EDT 2007

On 3/22/07 9:09 AM, Russel Howe said:

>I am attempting to use Darwinports to build vtk under OS X.
>Darwinports currently uses
>
>VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz
>
>The Darwinports build works fine, but it does not include python
>bindings.  When I enable the python bindings with
>
>-D VTK_WRAP_PYTHON:BOOL=ON
>
>the build fails with undefined symbols, listed below.

Which version of OS X?  PPC or Intel?  Is there a reason you are using
DarwinPorts?  Do you really want 4.2?  I've never used DarwinPorts nor
Phython, but I think you will have much better luck in general with VTK
5 vs VTK 4.2.  When I first started with VTK (between 4.4 and 5.0) the
CVS code did not even build on OS X with gcc4.  So if you are using a
modern OS X (ie 10.4) then I strongly suggest you use VTK 5.0.2, and
nothing older.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com