[vtkusers] Bricking

eugen eudyck at web.de
Mon Mar 19 13:40:16 EDT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:10:35 +0100, Kevin H. Hobbs <hobbsk at ohiou.edu>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 12:42 +0100, eugen wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> Does anybody know if someone is already working on a bricking mechanism
>> for volume rendering with texture mapping (vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D) for
>> future VTK releases? Or is there a way to do bricking with already
>> existing classes?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks
>> Eugen
>
> Could you be looking for streaming, where only a part of the data is
> read, and only part of the output is created at a time ? From your
> ITK call streaming. If that's what you mean, streaming is already
> supported for many tasks.

Sounds exactly what I'm looking for!!! I've read about streaming in VTK
some time ago, but thought it was not applicable to volume rendering...

Do you know for which tasks exactly streaming is supported? Especially if
VTK supports streaming for direct volume rendering?

My major problem is the memory limitation of videoboards. So I would like
to split a dataset into smaller chunks and render them by texturemapping
(with vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D). Do you say it is possible to set up a VTK
pipeline in that way (with streaming) to visualize datasets larger than
the VRAM can take in one piece?