[vtkusers] Should DataSpacing affect volume rendering?

Weiguang Guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Mon Mar 19 10:03:58 EDT 2007

Hello,

I recently find that the DataSpacing of volume data has a great impact on
the quality of volume rendering (both vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D and
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper). But I think the number of slicing planes (or the
interval of slicing planes) used (in vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D) should be
proportional to the dimensions of a volume, and should have NOTHING to do
with the data spacing.

The attached is tcl script showing the influence of DataSpacing on volume
rendering. You can scale up/down the original spacing (by 10 or 1/10 for
example) to see how volume rendering responds. The problem is more than
rendering quality sometimes.

Weiguang