[vtkusers] Interacting with VTK under Mac OS X

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 17 11:40:26 EDT 2007

Brad King wrote:
[]
> The reason it doesn't work in VTK 5.0 is because that was released
> before CMake 2.4 so it does a big hack to prevent installation with any
> kind of rpath enabled.  Also the default behavior for the release branch
> is to have rpaths off.

OK, this explains a lot. Is this fixed in more recent branches ov VTK?
Do you know if it is fixed in ParaView-2.6.0 (which does not want to
build for some other reason)?

> Apply the attached patch to re-enable
> installation with rpaths.
[]
> to the source tree.  You may also need to use SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES to
> tweak the setting for a few targets, but probably not.

This is something I never understood. Where in the VTK sources would I
add SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES, and how?

Actually, your patch does work for me. Well, almost. It makes VTK-5.02
build its libraries and executables with the correct install_names, with
one notable exception:

The python modules (things like libvtkIOPython.so) in Wrapping/Python
are linked with the VTK dylibs while these still have the wrong
install_name, namely the one in the build tree. And since the python
modules are installed via setup.py, they don't get the install_name_tool
treatment with which cmake changes the wrong install_names to the right
ones at installation time. The result is that the installed python
modules will not work, because they still have the wrong install_names
of the dylibs hardcoded inside.

What is the trick to activate the install_name_tool stuff also for the
python modules? There are 11 of them with a dozen or so install_names to
change for each one, so I'd rather not run install_name_tool by hand.

--
Martin