[vtkusers] Interacting with VTK under Mac OS X

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 16 18:35:18 EDT 2007

Brad King wrote:
> Martin Costabel wrote:
>> Mike Jackson wrote:
>>> Here is the deal. You have TWO choices. Pick ONE..
>> Unfortunately, both don't make sense when you use a package manager like
>> MacPorts or Fink or even Xcode. It is a pity that the cmake developers
>> don't understand this.
>
> We understand it just fine.  CMake 2.4 has full support for rpath and
> install_name with different settings for build tree and install tree.
> It's documented in the SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES command.  A packager can
> get the VTK binaries to install with the desired rpath or install_name
> by setting these variables in the cache with the -D option on the CMake
> command line:
>
> CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH
> CMAKE_INSTALL_NAME_DIR

The problem is that, as others have answered already, that nobody seems
to know how to get this to work. I have read the documentation and the
sources many times forwards and backwards, and I have literally spent
several days in vain trying to get CMake for VTK to produce
install_names like /sw/lib/vtk/libvtkCommon.5.0.dylib.

If the result of the present discussion is a working example for VTK
libraries, I would be very glad.

--
Martin