[vtkusers] vtkPanel extends AWT, why not SWING??

Bartlomiej Wilkowski wilku_83 at o2.pl
Mon Mar 12 14:08:08 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have very big problem. I really dont know what is responsible for that.
Java or VTK. I am creating GUI application using VTK and the problem is that
I am using Swing. vtkPanel unfortunately extends heigh-weighted component
Canvas from AWT. This is not recommendable by Java developers to use
heigh-weighted components with light-weighted.

In my application everything works fine on the computers with older graphic
cards. With the newer ones, I have the problems. Clicking on the image which
comes from vtk (from the widget) I mark the points selected. In every
refresh, the Java paint() method is called to fill the image with the
previously selected points. Unfortunately, on the better graphic cards the
points disappear after very short time. They don´t stay on the screen. On
the older graphics cards it is not occuring!

Could anybody tell me if there are vtkCanvas and vtkPanel classes made for
Swing or maybe someone has any solution for me?

I really dont know what happens.

Thanks,

Bartek