[vtkusers] best way to cut volume

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Mar 2 09:21:56 EST 2007

The type conversion happens because if you cut an arbitrary shape out of a
structured dataset the result is necessarily unstructured, unless the
arbitrary shape happens to be very regular like ExtractVOI's is.

vtkExtractSelectedFrustum can add cell and point data arrays called
"vtkInsidedness" so as to preserve the type of the data while performing an
extraction. In your downstream filters you could use that to do what you
want. For example you could use that array to make the opacity 0.0 outside
the region of interest in the transfer function.

That being said I don't know if there are any other filters that create that
array.

hth,
Dave DeMarle