[vtkusers] vtkCutter not working properly

Meisam Aliroteh meisam.aliroteh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:23:13 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've tried vtkCutter to get the contour of a polydata and I am getting weird
results.

In first case I cut a sphere with and the cutter does generate a circular
contour. In the second case I try to cut through a bunch of triangles and
are all coplanar and I try to cut them to get their contour but I get an
empty polydata back from the cutter.

Basically, I need to get the contour of a flat shape ( the shape is made of
of triangles and all triangles are coplanar and I only need the outer lines
which form the parameter of the shape, not any of the interior/shared
triangle edges ). I though I could use vtkCutter since it is simple to use
and is fast but it doesn't return anything !!! It just return a polydata
which no cells, or polys, or lines etc.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or is there a better way of doing this ?

thanks